Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering A Legend....



Yesterday, the world lost a music icon.

There are no words. The scope of his influence is immeasurable. The depth of his relevance is unquestionable. The magnitude of his celebrity is unparalleled. The universality of his music and his purpose reaches the far corners of the globe. No one could ever compare.

I, like many children of the 90s, made my first foray into the world of the King of Pop at a young age. I grew up in a black household run by a child of the 70s, so of course I was no stranger to the Jackson 5, their music, or their story…. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve been commissioned into the living room to sing my melodramatic rendition of “Maybe Tomorrow” for family and company alike. I was quite familiar with Michael’s back catalog by the time I was old enough to comprehend the concept of music, but my first direct experience with Michael’s music came with his 1991 release, Dangerous. I remember gawking and the splendor and extravagance of the cover art, which was equally matched by the grandeur of his music videos during that period. I still remember the night that “Black or White” premiered. Michael set the bar high with his shows and performances, many of his staging and visual innovations set the standard and can be seen in many of today’s popular artists’ productions. Michael’s precision and intricacy as a dancer is inimitable, and he has served as an iconic inspiration to many of today’s greatest dancers, choreographers, and artists. MJ wasn't just a singer..... he wasn't just an artist..... he wasn't just a performer..... he wasn't just a selfless philanthropist....... he was a living legend.

I don't want to delve into the brewing mess surrounding the circumstances behind his death..... yet (I've already had a preliminary rant via Twitter). But I do find solace in knowing that Michael is at peace, and I pray that his family can remain strong during such a trying period, which isn't made any easier by the sheer enormity of his celebrity and the media frenzy that seems to be just beginning.


He was one of the best to ever do it. And he will forever live on through his legacy, his music, and his global impact.

Rest In Peace, Mike. We Love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment