After much anticipation, Beyonce's "Sweet Dreams" video has finally been released. The clip, directed by Adria Petty, is a visual feast compared to the other drab and mundane videos from this album. True to form, Sasha offers up another batch of camp choreography, accompanied by now-trademark two woman background ensemble. A very special element of this video, one which makes it an instant favorite of mine, is the fact that my home skillet Saidah Fischenden is featured as one of Bey's dancers. Saidah and I go back to my high school days, and I remember being impressed by her talent as a dancer, once I discovered it.
One of my favorite moments of the video is seeing Beyonce clad in a gold robotic armor-suit, designed by French fashion mastermind, Thierry Mugler. It embodies a visual representation of Beyonce's strength as a woman, an artist, and a worldwide icon in the making. HOWEVER (and you know it wouldn't be a proper Beyonce post without me nitpicking).... the one thing about this video that DRIVES ME CRAAAAAZY is the choreography. The first half of the song is choreographed by Jonte Moaning and is executed beautifully by Beyonce and her dancers. The latter part of the video, however, uses choreography by an up and coming choreographer out of L.A. by the name of Rosero McCoy (who's choreography for the video I featured previously on the blog). I don't want to knock Rosero's work, because he is very talented and good at what he does, but the difference in the two styles is VERY evident. I said it before and I'll say it again: I just don't see it for Bey with this choreo.
All in all, I'd say it's one of the best videos we've ever gotten outta the Knowles camp. She didn't give us too much, but she didn't disappoint either.

No comments:
Post a Comment