This weekend was the heralded / dreaded (depending on who you are and which particular stage of gayness you’re at) Fam-lay Reunion here in good ol’ ATL. The kidz, like always, swooped down on my beloved city and showed the fuck out. And not in a good way. My apologies to anyone who witnessed me out and about..... I was far beyond any normal level of inebriation every single night. I was, however, sober in the mall on Saturday (which enabled me to take in most of the intolerable debauchery for what it was worth). So if I didn’t speak, it was no shade. Or maybe it was, I don’t know.
Thursday night, myself and one of the coolies decided to hit ATL’s famed rest and retirement home for queens, Bulldogs (known affectionately within my close circle as The Senile Puppy). The line was wrapped around the building, so we just posted in the parking lot. TOO. MANY. THINGS. Niggaz wearing Wal-Mart Beyonce shirts tucked into too-tight stonewashed carpenter jeans..... BAD BODIES EVERYWHERE..... the strongest drinks I’ve ever gotten from the trunk of a car..... old queens getting their life and looking a dated “Paris Is Burning” ass mess..... the only highlight (besides being toasted beyond belief) was running into one of my old Morehouse buddies from L.A.
Friday night, we hit the 708 parking lot. Aside from the cops trying it, attempting to disperse the crowd every 30-45 mins, it was actually quite enjoyable. Not as on point as last year (the pickings this year were quite slim, late, banjee, and every other word in between), but everything is bearable with the right amount of alcohol. The fights, however, were a bit much. All four of them. But I had fun partying with some of the besties and running into a lot of friends from in and out of town.
The mall on Saturday was blah. The boys were blah, there was a gross overstock of queens and children, and I had the WORST Chinese food ever in the food court. Saturday night was a major chop. I refused to pay to see Kim, and I’m glad I didn’t. The clips of her performance that have made it online looked very bland. After contemplating a few other options, I ended up spending a quiet night semi-boo’ed up (via being passed out in bed..... my liver and kidneys were sooooo over me by this point).
Sunday, however, was rather enjoyable. My companion and I enjoyed each other’s company into the late afternoon, and then hit the park with some of his friends. This was my first and last time doing the park during Pride (I usually take Sunday to recuperate from my alcohol-induced near-comatose state the night before). It was cute, in a “hood ass foolishness” sort of way..... until the shooting and subsequent stampede. But I did have fun gawking at the lateness and being seen. After the park, my friend and I enjoyed a nice dinner at one of my favorite spots in Midtown, and wound up spending another evening in (.......yep, passed out again. Tequila and I are no good together).
All in all...... this year gets two thumbs DOWN. I hope this isn’t the beginning of ATL Pride’s decline. I enjoyed Sizzle muuuuch more this year. I’m just glad it’s all over, and my city can finally return to some state of normalcy once more. Back to life, back to reality....

No comments:
Post a Comment